Caring for our community’s children is a key element of The Elizabeth Hospice’s mission.
Childhood grief is more prevalent than most people realize. One in five children will experience the death of someone significant in their life before they reach the age of 18. Without child grief support, grieving children are at higher than normal risk for problems in school, substance abuse, depression and anxiety.
Our comprehensive Children’s Bereavement Program is the only one of its kind in San Diego County and Southwest Riverside County. Services are free of charge for child bereavement and open to everyone.
Enrollment is now open for our grief support groups for children ages 3 to 17.
Until the health guidelines have been lifted, all sessions will be conducted virtually on Zoom.
To enroll in our children’s grief support groups, call 760.796.3701 or email email@example.com.
Peer-Based Grief Support Groups
- Bimonthly, 90-minute, evening sessions
- Concurrent parent/guardian groups
- Ages 3 to 17
Bereavement Camps – Camp Spero
- Grief-related activities
- Traditional camp fun
- Ages 7 to 17
- Newcomers and returning campers
School-Based Grief Support Groups
- 8-week series
- School districts throughout San Diego and Southwest Riverside Counties
- Elementary through High School
Community Grief Education and Support
- Crisis intervention for students and faculty
- Grief and loss training for educators and healthcare professionals
One-on-One Grief Counseling
- 30 and 50-minute sessions utilizing therapeutic games, expressive arts, play and other age-appropriate activities
- Office locations: Carlsbad, Escondido, San Diego and Temecula
- Preschool to Grade 12
Our Children’s Bereavement Centers are kid-friendly spaces where children can share their feelings, thoughts, and stories as they process their grief. They are located in Escondido (930 Canterbury Place) and Mission Valley (8989 Rio San Diego, Suite 190, San Diego).
The Children’s Bereavement Program is made possible through the generous support of individuals and organizations.
Here are some resources to help you and your children during this difficult time.
Gratitude Tree, a family activity
Holiday Toolkit, Supporting Grieving Children During the Season of Family, created by the National Alliance for Grieving Children
Hugs on a String, an activity to help grieving youth talk about their feelings